Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I hate titling entries

So, I just had a really interesting/challenging conversation with a friend of mine about what I put my identity in.
I have always had the following train of thought: I should look however I want, and see it as my mission to educate people about the fact that I can be a serious follower of Christ and still dress/pierce/tattoo...etc. I want to tear down stereotypes, and be "artsy" and still dependable.

Well, what if instead I had the ability to deny myself the intense desire for self-expression, and just knew what my identity was in so much that I didn't NEED to do/dress like that? Like, what if I wanted people to see Jesus so much in me, that I was willing to fade into the background? Am I willing to let go of a desire for a "cool reputation" enough to do what needs to be done, even when it's not cool? Can I say proudly that I am probably going to live in Kentucky? Or, am I so caught up in superficiality that I don't even want people to know that God is moving in Ft. Thomas? Will I cling to the hope to be beautiful and stylish or creative in my appearance more than I cling to Jesus as my only hope? Lord, I'm going to need your help to overcome this paradigm shift. I don't know how to walk the line between being "true to myself" and being true to only Christ.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think so much about how I look or how I'm presenting myself more than I think about how I'm presenting Christ. One problem is that I don't know exactly who I am or what I want to be. Actually, I don't think that I will ever totally understand myself...noone really does. We just have to live the lives God has for us and do our best to be ourselves for Him, not what people want or expect from us.

-S.A.N.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home